You can’t deny how popular TikTok is especially amongst the Gen Z and millennial age groups. TikTok’s latest surge comes amid the global COVID-19 pandemic, which has seen consumers drawn to their mobile devices more than ever as they look for new ways to shop, work, and connect with others.
To put things in perspective, the total number of downloads of the TikTok app across iOS and Android hit 2 billion downloads in April, and comes just five months after the app hit 1.5 billion downloads.
The explosive growth of the Bytedance-owned social media platform has certainly grabbed the attention of global marketers aiming to explore advertising on TikTok, and more ways to better reach audiences on the still-growing social media platform.
Source: Sensor Tower
TikTok has significantly become one of the most downloaded apps in 2020. Data from SensorTower in January 2020 placed TikTok as the most downloaded app for non-game mobile applications across App Store and Google Play downloads.
TikTok’s vision is to capture and present the world’s creativity, knowledge and moments that matter in everyday life. In this vein, TikTok empowers everyone to be a creator directly from their smartphones, and is committed to building a community by encouraging users to share their passion and creative expression through their videos.
Source: Sensor Tower
Are TikTok Ads Right for Your Business? TikTok is the best platform for your business if you would like to target Gen Z and Millennial users who are looking for something fun, trendy, bold, innovative.
They are ready to discover something new and help to create virality to promote your brands. Depending on your markets, TikTok gender demographics differ. For example, a report by Business of Apps showed users in Japan are slightly skewed towards the male demographic, whereas users in South Korea and Indonesia are more skewed towards the female demographic. Furthermore, “The State of Mobile 2020” report by App Annie showed that globally, time spent in TikTok grew 210% year-on-year, attributed to expanded user bases and increased time spent per user.
Source: Screenshots from TikTok Ads website
TikTok’s short-form video format plays to the strengths of an ever-flowing content feed and disrupted attention spans and provides users with fun and creative content features, resulting in well-publicised global popularity.
TikTok Ads Offer Great Advertising Opportunities TikTok is not only one of the most popular social media platforms for the young generation, but also a great advertising opportunity for digital marketers and advertisers. TikTok Ads has proven its impact in creating an influence on the young generation.
Businesses like Grab, Apple, Samsung and Nike have leveraged TikTok ads to advertise their products and had very successful TikTok campaigns which created virality and popularity for their brands.
Where to get started? There are two types of ad buys on TikTok – premium buys and auction-based buys. For premium buys, a minimum budget is required, with pricing differing by market, whereas auction-based buys do not require a minimum budget.
What kind of advertising options are available on TikTok?
1. Brand Takeover A brand takeover ad is a three-second to five-second static image or silent video content that appears immediately after a user opens the TikTok app. This ad format allows brands to link users to their desired landing page. It can be measured with clicks, impressions, and unique reach. A brand takeover also has high clickthrough rates (CTR) and 100% share-of-voice (SOV) on the splash screen for cost-per-transaction buys.
Source: TikTok – Mercedes Benz case study (Brand Takeover)
2. In-Feed Ads TikTok’s In-Feed Ad is a video ad embedded within the ‘For You’ feed and is designed to drive users to engage with your business account. In-Feed Ads are shown to users as natively as possible, and advertisers are able to deliver full-screen video ads up to 60-seconds long, with auto-playing and sound-on options, and users can like, comment and share the ad, adding an organic element to your advertising campaign too. In-Feed Ads are available for premium buys and auction buys.
Source: TikTok – Maybelline case study (In-Feed Ads)
3. TopView TopView is a five- to 60-second video ad with audio, that showcases your brand when users launch the TikTok app. Besides enabling links to the brand’s landing page, it also enables user engagement such as likes, comments, shares, and follows. Top View ads can be measured through impressions, clicks, video views, and video engagement.
Source: TikTok – Balenciaga case study (TopView)
Top View delivers “Must-See” and an immersive experience with a 100% SOV on TikTok’s splash screen, and brands can display their ad in a “noise-free” environment with longer watch times.
4. Premium Badge Premium Badge is a customizable brand icon (that can be a static image or gif) and has a link to the desired landing page. This Premium Badge helps to deliver higher CTR than normal In-Feed Ads.
5. Super Like Super Like is an innovative ad format that delights and surprises those who ‘Like’ your In-Feed Ads to further deepen engagement. Super Like appears on top of regular In-Feed Ads as an engagement upgrade, and reinforces brand messaging no matter where users see the video (hashtag page, brand page, music page, etc.). Full-screen floating hearts are displayed alongside brand elements/icons triggered by a user’s ‘Like’.
6. Branded Hashtag Challenge The hashtag challenge is probably the most prominent TikTok ad format available now. It is constantly used by TikTok influencers and celebrities to promote a certain brand by allowing users to create videos that benefit your brands’ reputation and awareness by using hashtags. Those challenges have a vast potential of going viral across the platform. Challenges generally last for 6 days and can be combined with Branded Effect (2D, 2D pro, 3D) or Clickable Effect. A Hashtag Challenge “Plus Package” is also available, which provides a discovery tab to encourage the participants to explore more with an extra tab on your challenge page.
Source: TikTok – Zalora case study (Hashtag challenge)
Global Hashtag Challenge is an ad type which enables truly global reach and allows a brand to launch their campaign across different markets simultaneously. This provides brands with a means to deliver a unified brand and voice across different markets, whilst appealing to varied audiences through localized creatives. Branded Effect, Hashtag descriptions and Branded Sounds are automatically rendered according to a user’s language setting on TikTok, offering global reach with localized assets.
Advanced Measurement with TikTok Brand Lift Study Apart from a fun and innovative experience with TikTok Ads, digital marketers and advertisers can also use TikTok’s Brand Lift Study for measuring and optimizing TikTok campaigns. Brands can tap on TikTok’s Brand Lift Study, or that of third-party partners such as Nielsen, Kantar or Millward Brown. Brand Lift Study with TikTok provides mandatory and optional questions to better measure campaign objectives.
Leveraging on AnyMind Group’s solutions to drive your TikTok campaigns At AnyMind Group, we’re looking to help you grow further through our various solutions.
Apart from our digital advertising offerings for desktop, mobile and DOOH advertising, you’ll be able to tap on AdAsia’s advertising partnership with TikTok to drive your advertising campaigns on this fast-growing social media platform with deep insights, best practices across the region, and expertise in optimizing your TikTok ad campaigns.
In addition, you’ll also be able to utilize CastingAsia, our influencer marketing platform, and the CastingAsia Creators Network, to discover celebrities, macro, micro and nano influencers on TikTok and other social media platforms.
In fact, our solutions are so good that even TikTok uses CastingAsia to run their influencer marketing campaigns, check it out.
If you’re interested in advertising using TikTok, or want to take on influencer marketing but unsure how to start, feel free to reach out to us through the form below.
Reach out now